A one man rant about novel writing, publishing, and other "artistic" pursuits.

Friday, July 08, 2005

THE BIG 5-0

I hit a milestone recently. I sent out my fiftieth query package to an agent on Bad Moon Rising. It's exciting thinking how many "big time" agents have considered my writing, but it's also a bit disappointing to think that fifty agencies have considered my writing. . .and passed on it. There's something about the number fifty that means it's time to reflect, regroup, and rethink.
The main thing is to keep working. I did preliminary work for two novels, and wrote three chapters of another murder mystery and one chapter of a literary novel. I will probably get back to them, but I got a compelling idea for a young adult novel that I just couldn't ignore. I now have close to 70 pages.
The false starts put me behind a little, but the ultimate goal is to practice and to make sure that I don't have to rely solely on Bad Moon Rising. I'm hoping to have two drafts of the YA novel done by the next writers conference in February 2006.
Submissions are interesting. My materials are at work and I get most of the submissions out during breaks in my work day as a high school teacher. At first, I was just sending out a query letter because it was cheaper. Last February, though, at the Southern California Writers Conference (19), writer and presenter Bob Mayer (the Area 51 series) said that he always sends out the same package--a cover letter, a short synopsis, and chapter one. His philosophy:

1. The cover letter says "I have a great idea."
2. The synopsis says "I have a great story."
3. Chapter 1 says "I can write."

Even though it's more expensive than just sending a letter (a little over $2 a submission), I can't argue with that logic.
Mayer said that everyone should get the same package, despite what their submissions guidelines say. I want to follow the rules of submissions, but I like the three step philosophy he outlined above. As he said, no one is (probably) going to reject your submission if they like the writing just because the submission "didn't follow the length guidelines." That said, sending entire unsolicited manuscripts is still a big no-no.
I will continue sending out submission packages (letter, synopsis, chapter one) for Bad Moon Rising, but before long I will have another product to peddle.
If that doesn't work, I'll write another novel.
One of them is bound to sell.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home